Re: [NTLK] PCMCIA Fax Modems for Newton?

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 08:29:15 PDT

on 4/25/03 10:00 AM, George Bingham at george.bingham_at_newted.net wrote:
> Are any new lower power cards being made?
    Most of the 56K cards will be lower power than just about any of the
28.8 or 33.6 cards (some 33.6 cards I've tested suck more power than the
Newton is rated to supply through the PCMCIA slot).
    This site gives in-use and standby ratings for some modems (these are
the manufacturers' ratings and in some cases _ 3Com in particular according
to my own tests _ are on the low side).

http://www.cewindows.net/peripherals/pccardmodem.htm

> What about most modern ISPs? Do they still support connecting at these
> slower speeds?
    I have no problem connecting with the 14.4 with my ISP. My regular
account is DSL, but I have dialup access as well.
    I can also connect via analog cell. The best possible is 9600, but
unless you're sitting on a cell tower 4800 or less is more likely.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html