[NTLK] eMate hinge spring problem

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 16:30:57 PDT

Hi all,

this answers a couple of different posts to save bandwidth.

Robert asked...

> Is it absolutely necessary to install washers inside the eMate

As many have pointed out, yes, it is. Eventually the hinges will
kill the display ribbon cable if this isn't done.

> In say ten eMates, how many are affected by this screen cable
problem?

Ten. Unless they already have the washers installed.

> What I mean to ask is, is it inevitable?

No. If you don't open the lid anymore or never close it, the problem
will never manifest. Otherwise it will.

David asked...

> Is there anyplace that repairs/upgrades eMates for those of us who
> are not confident to handle such technical challenges?

Joe answered...

> I can repair hinge problems, and upgrades.
> I am unable to repair video connection ribbon cable.
> I believe that Frank Gruendel (www.pda-soft.de) can do the
> video connection repair.

Correct. I can do all of the above. However, if your ribbon cable is
still intact and you live in the US of A, Joe is the better option if
you
just want to have the hinges checked and the washers put in since
shipping
will be cheaper and much faster. For Europeans it is the other way
round.
For all other continents it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

It isn't really that different, however, to do the washer thing
yourself.
See

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html
http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html

for details on what you would be facing.

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html