Re: [NTLK] Problems with New Proxim Orinoco Gold Card

From: Scotty Technoir (tick0001_at_algonquincollege.com)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 11:08:12 PDT

On 31.7.2003 11:56 am, "Jonathan Hill" <jonathan.m.hill_at_verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> It is a 5V card - I checked it before I inserted it the first time - and
> also the "16" box is installed.
>
> Also, the PCMIA slot should be working, since I had used it for a 3Com
> fax/modem card just before.
>
> Hmmm. A mystery......

perhaps not such a mystery. for example I have a D-Link 650, a card that is
*not really* supposed to be used [it is 3.3 according to the info on back,
but [maybe] is dual voltage [3.3 & 5v] and it has worked fine for over a
year in my newt. no explosions yet. I also have an IBM HighRate wireless
card. this card is identical to the Lucent Gold card [which is known to
work] in every way...except that it will not work. it is 16 bit, 5v and all,
but the twist is that the name string is too long, ie
IBM_high_rate_wavelan_blah_blah, and Hiroshi-san's driver cannot accommodate
this. at the last SONUG meeting Roman T suggested a hack exists to get
around this, but I can't find a ref. so while your card has the tech specs
you need, it may have a name that is too long. :/

scotty t

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html