Re: [NTLK] newton 2100 power fried?

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 23:50:52 PDT

The element that burned is most likely the zener diode located near the
power input.
This is to protect the Newt from power overvoltage.
The question is what happened after the diode gave up and burned.
If you have a multimeter you can check the resistance across the pins.
In case the zener burned ending up in an open circuit the Newt was
unprotected then and some other parts may have suffered from overvoltage.
Otherwise the zener should behave like a short and thus still "protect" the
Newt shorting the power input.
In principle the Newt can work without it.
It sounds promising that your Newt is still doing something.
That means that your adapter was not very much too powerful.
Have you tried to remove all cards from the PCMCIA slots, Reset, leaving the
device unpowered for minimum 6 hours?
The known from (my own) experience behaviour after power frying is that the
Newt is COMPLETELY dead.
So I would not yet give up.

Cheers
Johannes