Re: [NTLK] newton 2100 power fried?

From: David Humphreys (pcbman_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 17:55:46 PDT

Ok. Time to reveal to true identity of D2.

It is a device called a 'TRANSORB'.

There seems to be some variation in the numbers reported to be marked
on the case but here is what I have:

KNP
76
GI

It is decoded this way:

GI is 'General Instruments'. They were part of General Semiconductors
and are now owned by Vishay Semiconductors.

KNP is the device type and this corresponds to TPSMB10.

This is a 10V TRANSORB. All it does is sit between power and ground
and waits for a voltage spike. It then conducts the excess voltage to
ground and it never reaches the inside of the Newton.

It is meant to protect the device from TRANSient voltages and absORB
them, geddit?

With a nominal input of 7.5V, it never conducts. If you connect an
unregulated supply > 9V, it starts to conduct and shorts out power and
ground but the supply, unlike a transient, doesn't go away and the
power supply fries the transorb.

The '76' is probably a date or line code.

PCBman

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html