Re: [NTLK] GPS (WAS) newtontalk Digest V3 #422

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 10:28:01 PDT

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:31:09AM -0400, Donald Wilson wrote:

> On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 08:52 PM, Matthew Boulanger wrote:
>
> > A 199$ Magellan handheld unit will give most people the accuracy they
> > need for boating, hiking, driving, etc. Couple that with a 20$ serial
> > cable (or build your own at home!) and it connects right to the
> > Newton. For my money, it's a much better investment.
> >

> So the Magellan units are Newton Compatible?

It depends. Many GPS units have a serial port for transferring data and
one of the things that serial port can do is send position data in a
format known as "NMEA". If both the software you're using on the newt
and the GPS reciever both speak NMEA, then all is good.

--
It is odd, but on the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon
in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to