[NTLK] eMate hinge madness understated

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 22:29:50 PDT

I picked up an eMate off of eBay for $60, which arrived today.
I bought it knowing that the screen was showing distortion (everything's
repairable, right?), but it made more sense when the unit arrived and
the lid flopped around.

"Ah..the dreaded hinge problem. Should be a snap."

Hours passed, mostly with the soldering iron on idle and me scouring for
some washers. Why is it that you can be a total electronics packrat, but
not find a single device with washers? Eventually I found two and used
those to secure the remaining leads of the hinges. Not sure what most
people are doing, but that's currently working for me until it inevitably
happens again. The damage to the ribbon cable was bad enough, but not
terrible. I used some old choke wiring for three lines that had the most
damage (one was still functional, but barely) and decided to leave a
couple of questionable ones alone. Fortunately the eMate has plenty of
test points for soldering replacement connections to.

Buttoned that bad boy back up and it's currently recharging so I can
take it by work tomorrow. Unfortunately it didn't come with its own power
supply or stylus, but not a problem (Victor, are you still willing to
send me that dead power supply? I'll put the schematics online.)
More importantly, it didn't come with the memory upgrade. So if anyone
has a dead eMate with a memory card for sale, send me an e-mail please.

Design-wise, I really like this machine.

-Jeff

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html