[NTLK] GPS (WAS) - Great GPS Solution -

From: J. Eagan Rackley (jrackley_at_electronicbingo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 12:20:37 PDT

Hi All:)

I just wanted everyone to know that a good GPS solution I'm using is I
bought a Palm III Streetfinder GPS (with software) off of ebay for $30.

I made a minor modification to the unit using the directions on this site:

http://www.chadphillips.org/zaurus/palmgps.html

and I got a DB9 to MINI DIN8 adapter, so now I can use it with my Palm
in a Cradle, my Newt, and my laptop! I've only tested it with GPSmap
Lite, but it seems to work great!

I think it's a much less expensive solution than some of the $80 +
serial receivers, and for me equally effective. It even mounts to your
windshield.

The mod is super easy as long as you have a steady hand and a soldering
iron.

Regards,

Eagan

P.S. Please note, I don't know if the Palm V GPS receiver works with the
newton or not. I've only tested the Palm III.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html