Re: [NTLK] GPS/Map/etc. Matters

From: Matthew Boulanger (matthewboulanger_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 18:08:59 PDT

As near as I can figure it, ArcPad actually had it's beginnings on the Newton, in the form of a program called MapPad created by an Australian company. ESRI eventually bought them out (or somehow acquired the software). Apparently, there was at least a beta version of ArcPad for the Newton, that is long since lost. I've not used the new ArcPad setups on the Compaq iPaq, but I've heard from a colleague whose agency is switching from Newtons to iPaqs, and he is not very impressed with them. He prefers the size and handwriting on the Newt. Quite frankly, I don't blame him, as the iPaqs seem quite small, and fragile compared to the Newton.

-Matt