Re: [NTLK] More GPS

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 00:20:14 PDT

The idea is great, but I do not think that the Newt will recognize this CF
type of PCMCIA card. There is one card supported from the GPSMap application
that is the Centennial PCMCIA SatNav GPS Card. But AFAIR the communication
between the program and this card is based on a serial communication i.e.
the card is simulating a serial interface.

You need to think about where you want to use the GPS.
If you intend to use it for hiking, walking or bicycling, teh card would be
the best option, but you have to takle into account the increased power need
as well.

If you are on a boat or car or in an airplane the external solution is
probably better.
I have very good experiences with a Garmin GPS mouse that I use in my car.

A solution for both applications would be a prortable GPS device like Garmin
Etrex or similar that you can connect to your Newt and to a Mac/PC as well,
but you can use it standalone as well and those have their own power supply.

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html