[NTLK] Addendum to Frank Gruendel's Fax story

From: Paul Vaughan (paulsvaughan_at_yahoo.com.au)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 03:01:48 PDT

Hi all

Firstly, credit where credit is due. This story owes
much to Frank Gruendel's story, available here
http://www.pda-soft.de/stories__faxing_is_easy____0.html

(and while you're there, check out Frank's Post Office
story- it's a classic)

Anyway, here I am with a Mac G4, and a wonderful eMac
running at 1 Gig; not to mention the Windoze machine.
All connected via ethernet to a router, and on to a
cable modem. Hey, this is a high tech household.

So, my wife has decided to get involved in advertising
her choir's upcoming concert, and needs to send faxes
to some radio stations in Sydney, Australia.

She tries to get FaxSTF to work on the eMac. No
luck-it's as if it doesn't really exist on the machine
(even though she can see it in 'applications').

I try to reinstall it from the software install disk,
but all I get is an alias pointing goodness knows
where, and nothing actually comes up on the screen.
(They want to keep us users in the dark eh??).

Then she tries the G4. This has FaxSTF ver.5 (circa
2001) but still no luck in actually getting the thing
to load-never mind to send!

Then, suddenly, I feel a presence next to me. It's
Frank's alter ego; he's visiting me at this crucial
point in my faxing life. He's saying "you've got a
Newton" and then yelling "Newton can do it".

So I tell my wife to email the information to my
address (simpler than working with 'users' in OSX),
and I get it on to my Newton using WiFi. Then I
simply save to 'notes', and, having switched to a 33.6
modem card, tell the Newton to fax it to the number my
wife requires. The information is sent. No problem!

Once more, the Newton has proved what an amazing piece
of technology it is. I'm sure that with a bit more
work, I could even have done this with my H1000.

Paul

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html