Re: [NTLK] [OT] FireWire vs. iLink (WAS: Connecting to a G4)

From: Matt Lichtenberg (klich_at_peoplepc.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 13:45:51 PDT

Paul Guyot wrote:
> FireWire is the first name of IEEE 1394 (another name is I.Link as
> you mention it) and it was invented by Apple. In fact, the name "IEEE
> 1394" is the name of a standard and it actually appeared when Apple's
> specification was standardized.
>
> Cf: http://www.1394ta.org/Technology/
>
> Paul

FireWire was invented in 1986-1987. wowe. no chance Apple made a
prototype Mac, all those years back, that could handle that knd of data
throughput? i'd love to get my hands on that.. ;)

Nathan Turnage wrote:
> ... (ed. explanation of iLink v. FireWire)
> I hope that wasn't too long winded.
>

> nT

more incredibly informational than long-winded. leaves one to wonder,
tho.. why did Sony bother to put an iLink port on the front of the
PlayStation2.. something to think about/start the rumor mill.

-Matt

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html