Re: [NTLK] PCMCIA GPS sale

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 19:33:12 PDT

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:45:30PM -0400, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
> on 22/08/03 18:20, Robert Benschop at rbenschop_at_euronet.nl wrote:
>
> > Mark Rollins wrote:
> >> http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GPS-
> >> CFCMPK&sourceid=004004796686
> >> 04447528
> >
> > So would this work in a Newt? (since it's CompactFlash...)
>
> Unless it emulates some older, supporter GPS, I doubt it since there is
> always this notion of driver that are needed for the Newton to recognize any
> card...

IIRC, most of the PCMCIA GPS cards basically appear as serial cards and
simply use the serial interface to pump the data around. As such, mostly
they need drivers that speak the NMEA protocol rather than something
that knows how to talk to a specific card. I don't know if the same is
true for cf cards though.

--
61. If my advisors ask "Why are you risking everything on such a mad scheme?",
    I will not proceed until I have a response that satisfies them.