Re: [NTLK] Max. Current Limit

From: Luiz Petroni (lpetroni_at_compassoarte.com.br)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 19:29:06 PDT

I found this in Unna: apple documents

How Much Power Can a PCMCIA Card Draw (3/31/95)

Q: How much power can I draw through the PCMCIA slot?
A: The current rating depends on which Newton you are using and the
type of batteries in use. Alkaline batteries provide less current than
NiCad due to higher internal resistance. There is also a 'semi'
artifical limit in the ROM. Currently any card who's CIS indicates more
than 200 mA current draw will be rejected by the CardHandler. Other
than that, here's the run down by hardware:

     Apple MessagePad 100: 50 mA
     Apple MessagePad 110: ~160 mA
     Apple MessagePad 120: ~300 mA
     Apple MessagePad 130: ~300 mA (with backlight off)
     Apple MessagePad 130: (with backlight on, the maximum has not
been characterized)

I also found a post in NTKL about a 1A limit for both (summed) PCMCIA
slots but there were no technical doc reference. Nothing else :(

Any place where I can find info about how much power can be draw thru
the PCMCIA slots of MP2000/2100?

Thanks in advance.

lpetroni

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html