[NTLK] my Newt just experienced a hiccup of the most painful variety

From: Nathan Turnage (nturnage_at_andadv.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 07:56:43 PST

Well, my Newt just experienced a hiccup of the most painful variety.

It all started when Courier decided not to let me empty the cache,
citing error -10606 as the reason. So, I decided to upgrade (buy) ATA
support to allow me to take everything off the card the Courier was so
ferociously filling up with cache that needed to be emptied and put it
on my 128Mb CF card.

Everything went well at first. All the packages made it to the CF card
and I reformatted the the smaller linear flash card. The problems
started when I was trying to purge the Newt of everything Courier
related. I removed the app, but the prefs were *much* more stubborn.
When I attempted to use the tagteam of Trashpak and Prefs Cleaner,
Trashpak started giving me the dreaded (-10606) when I tried to delete
the Courier prefs on the Internal store. I tried backing up my system
before things went south and got the same error, and worse, no backup.
Just then my CF card started acting up and I lost one of the partitions,
inluding ALL of my info (including Notes & Pocket Quicken)! I am
floored, numb, flumoxed, if you will. I feel like forcefully
disassembling my Newt and lighting the parts ablaze. Is there any way to
rescue a CF partition that says "Not Formatted"?

Morale of the story, don't trust beta software and don't put anything
important on a CF card.

Aargh,
Nate

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html