Re: [NTLK] need info on some ethernet stuff...

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 11:27:02 PST

Aux environs du 2/12/03 ā 11:38 -0200, sous le titre "[NTLK] need
info on some ethernet stuff...", Andre Garzia prit sa plus belle
plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>a) DNS does not work... I am using MacOS X built-in internet sharing
>and put the IP of my ISP nameserver in the newton conf, this works for
>my beos box and my freebsd box... in the newton it does not, any atempt
>to fetch anything will result in error... but numeric IP works fine.

Weird. I think you might be able to put your MacOS X's LAN IP instead
of the DNS Server. But still, DNSes are supposed to work like any
other client on your network.

>b) what does binding the endpoint means? this takes forever, from 10 to
>15 minutes, and sometimes hangs... every app displays this... what is
>happening?!

This is the connection process.
NewtonOS uses Endpoints. Basically, it's communication library
inherits from OpenTransport which is a superset of XTI. You have two
traditionnal APIs to do networking: sockets and endpoints (XTI).

An Endpoint is an object that goes through various states. If you
connect, the states are instantiation, bind, connect, exchange data,
disconnect, unbind, delete.

I know it doesn't help explaining why this takes 10 or 15 minutes.
You might have something wrong in your setup. I don't know this card
and I strictly have no idea, I'm sorry I cannot help.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/