Re: [NTLK] Shell Access + www4mail.org = Surfing the web on your Newto

From: Steve Weyer (saweyer_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 04:45:16 PST

> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 19:13:04 -0800 (PST)
> From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Shell Access + www4mail.org = Surfing the web on
> your Newto
>
> There is a similar functionality using NetHopper. This
> reliable browser for the Newton (note, http 1.0
> version only...no frames, tables or other "fancy" html
> stuff allowed) has a pluging called NetHopper
> Scheduler. I have a copy for download/install from my
> site: http://newton.tek-ed.com...scroll almost down to
> the bottom...
> This little package allows you to setup a site and a
> time frame for downloads. Then it stores the pages in
> cache and allows you to view the pages at a later
> date! I use it when I absolutly have nothing better to
> do...like prior to when I wait to get my oil
> changed... and it does everything as advertised.

for some reason, I had assumed that the dialup (and email client)
wasn't using NIE (like on a 1.x Newton) so I had provided details on
setting up the email proxy.

Ron, if you do have a full network connection via NIE, then much better
to use the browser to pre-fetch pages (and graphics) -- Newt's Cape has
a lot of scheduling features bulit-in. (you could still use the mail
proxy stuff if you just wanted to tinker).

Steve

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html