Re: [NTLK] Polish paste

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 16:05:47 PST

> What is this display polish paste?

As someone else recently pointed out, there is Displex. Personally I do
not like it so much. More expensive, but better, is K3 Polish. It also
comes with a special cloth.

> What's it normally used for?

Mainly for polishing the clear plastic over the LCDs of cellular phones.

> I'm curious because I've really worn out some areas on my screen.
> It has even begun interfering with writing, as the stylus stumbles
> over these worn places...

You won't be able to get rid of real scratches. What you'd get rid of
are
blind spots on the digitizer foil. These are normally kind of white and
appear if you use the same part of the display again and again.

> Where could one get this paste?

Not sure about Displex. K3 Polish is in the web somewhere, I think
www.k3polish.de or .com. If you can't get it and enough people are
interested, I could buy a handful of sets and send them out at cost.
Depending on where you live this would probably mean something between
10 and 12 USD incl. shipping. If your local radio shack carries it,
this would certainly be the cheaper option, though.

> Does it really look fine after being removed?

It depends on your definition of fine and how important the
antireflective
coating is for you. If had a digitizer with spots that obstructed about
10% of the display in a way that I wasn't able to see through them.
After
polishing they were completely gone, so was most of the antireflective
coating. Since this is my software development Newton which I only use
at night, I considered that a benefit since the contrast got a bit
better.

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html