[NTLK] My Newt has Gremlins! Strange system error

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 10:15:10 PST

Hi List,

I had a wired problem today, twice to be exact. I started up the Newt
(2100US), created a new note in Notes, opened the label & entered a
name for that note. The Newt than restarted itself, telling me it was
restarting due to a system error. The note was still there, all that
got lost was the text I entered into the label.
The same thing happend again later on, excatly the same scenario.
I did not install any new stuff, the only unusual thing I did was
letting i++ check for lost links in its lists (and I did that *after*
the first crash).

Any ideas? I am a bit disturbed, as this is really the first time the
Newt has shown such unexpected behavior without me doing anything
fancy.

I was thinking about rebuilding this Newton from scratch over the
holidays when there is time for all the booting into OS9 (or is there
a *stable & reliable* solution using Ethernet for OSX by now?),
bootstrapping by beaming ethernet drivers from the other Newt,
deciding what pkgs are just dead weight, and so on, but I am really
not very keen on it. Maybe I will just do a hardware reset and
rebuild from the backup.

Oliver :/

--
Just as i thought...