Re: [NTLK] Odd behavior. A little help please.

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 12:57:13 PST

Aux environs du 9/12/03 à 15:48 -0500, sous le titre "[NTLK] Odd
behavior. A little help please.", Alan Davis prit sa plus belle plume
pour écrire les mots suivants:
>BTW I use the term freeze loosely because one of the symptoms I have had
>lately is that the Extras drawer closing noise will play repeatedly or at
>least the last part of it. Again the only way to recover from one of these
>is to withdraw all power.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info to help, please
>let me know.

You can try the following two things:

- restart deactivating packages (press with the pen on the screen)
and say no. Do you experience these problems?
Alternatively, freeze (as in deactivate) as many packages as you can
among those you don't use to see if the problem still occurs then. To
freeze packages, you need to have freezing enabled. If you do, just
select an icon in extras, press the route button (envelope) and
choose Freeze. If you don't, enable it with Options from SBM
(http://www.sbm.nu).

- backup/erase/restore the content of the card.

It may help.

Otherwise, we might figure out what the Newton is spending its time
in, but I'm not aware of any tool to do so. Basically, I would vote
for strange and unusual card issues only if it spends most of its
time in the kernel. Otherwise, it could be some bug in the software
you have installed or data corruption.

Still, your problem is weird indeed. The only noise problem I'm aware
about happens with the -10061 (typically when the kernel goes nuts).
Pressing somewhere with a pen fixes it.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/