Re: [NTLK] Newton Mentioned (Badly) in MacAddict

From: Tyler Smith (spam_at_fenestrated.net)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 05:20:38 PST

>They lumped the Newton with these other "stinkers": the Macintosh
>Portable, Macintosh TV, PowerBook 5300, Pippin, 20th Anniversary
>Macintosh, and the G4 Cube.

That's pretty terrible, considering that back under Cheryl England
MacAddict as a whole LOVED the Newton. They always seemed to be
talking about how great it was... but I liked the magazine a lot
better in those first couple of years. I was sad when the original
team all went away; it felt like it tried to maintain it's "edginess"
but lost it's "spark". Besides, I always got about 85% recognition on
my 110...

That said, I love most of those stinkers. They were all bad business
decisions, for sure, but some great products. I know several people
who would LOVE to have a TAM who refuse to use any other Apple
products; Same deal with the Cube. Pippin_at_World is a really cool
little piece of hardware--that it's also a little piece of crap is a
shame.

That the newton grew into a computing platform all its own instead of
just being "an electronic organizer" doesn't lump it into the
category with my 5300, which, after ten hours of work, now has an RCA
jack epoxied into place on the back and soldered onto the motherboard
contacts for power. :-)

-Tyler

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html