Re: [NTLK] Thoughts on using the newton for large creative projects...

From: Tony Kan (tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 12:13:54 PST

Dear Rhonda

You're right using quotation marks and fiddling around with placing the
caret exactly in the right place is tedious. There is a utility called BB
Editor which allows you to quickly select entire words or phrases and a tap
on another button and the selected word or phrase is surrounded with
quotation marks. In fact a pop up menu gives you the choice of not only
quotation marks but parentheses, square brackets et al. The utility sits on
top of the icon bar at the bottom of my MP2k1 in portrait mode and is
activated by a tiny icon it puts there on installation.

It also has arrow buttons that allow the caret to moved around as if you had
a keyboard. One feature I use a lot of is the no spaces button "NS". A tap
on that and any spaces preceding the word where the caret is placed is
removed.

I have had it so long that I can't remember where I got it either but I
believe its freeware and might be found on UNNA.

HTH

Tony.

[snip]

Unfortunately, it consistently failed miserably on the quotes around
dialogue. I ended up using the caret punctuation menu to open quotes the
majority of the time, because it turned out to be faster to wait for all
the pending words to be translated then hit the caret than trying to
write the quotes then go back and correct them when the Newt messed up.
It would interpret them as "11", "k", "K", or various other incorrect
letters, or a combination of the incorrect interpretation of the quotes
with the word immediately afterward which gave me completely nonsensical
words. Or sometimes it would interpret the quote as a double-tap, then
I'd have to pause, close the keyboard, put the caret back where it
belonged, and keep going.

[snip]

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html