Re: [NTLK] Thoughts on using the newton for large creative projects...

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 22:16:37 PST

on 12/17/03 8:09 PM, Rhonda Hyslop at 0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net wrote:

> Unfortunately, it consistently failed miserably on the quotes around
> dialogue. I ended up using the caret punctuation menu to open quotes the
> majority of the time, because it turned out to be faster to wait for all
> the pending words to be translated then hit the caret than trying to
> write the quotes then go back and correct them when the Newt messed up.
> It would interpret them as "11", "k", "K", or various other incorrect
> letters, or a combination of the incorrect interpretation of the quotes
> with the word immediately afterward which gave me completely nonsensical
> words. Or sometimes it would interpret the quote as a double-tap, then
> I'd have to pause, close the keyboard, put the caret back where it
> belonged, and keep going.

Good suggestions re: your quotes problem. I'm surprised, however, that
nobody has suggested the Newton's wonderful expansion feature...

Pop open the built-in keyboard, and tap on the little open book in the lower
left corner.
Next, in the window that pops up, type a really unusual combination of
characters that will become your shortcut to the quotation marks. On my
Newton, I use "/q". (forward slash and the letter "q"--more on how to write
that slash in a moment) Next, tap on the "Expand" button, and type the
quotes character - " . Lastly, type the "Add" button...

You can use these things for all sorts of things--punctuation, cocmmon
words, etc. I'm partial to using the forward slash to begin my shortcuts for
punctuation. Partial list:
/q = quotation marks
/r = return char
/t = tab char
/p = period
/c = comma
/co = colon
/sc = semicolon
/s = space

words:
w/ = with
jpg = Jon Glass

I have others, and I'm sure you can think of tons more. Unfortunately, the
Newton is limited in how many expansions it can keep in its dictionary.
However, I think that if you use Paul Guyot's alt.rec.... You can create
more expansions. It is worth learning how to use these things! You just
might find that you prefer writing on the Newton than on paper. ;-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland