Re: [NTLK] Question for Linux folk

From: Robert Masters (rdm_at_enfield.lympago.com)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 22:14:44 PST

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 08:21:09PM -0600, Michael Cox wrote:

> Has anyone succeeded in running Newton Press 1.1(for Windows) under WINE (or
> any other solution) with Linux? Newton Press is the ONLY Windows program I
> wish I could run. So far, I have to run it on my daughter's dual-boot
> Windows-Linux box.
>
> It attempts to install, then InstallShield aborts out at 97%, saying, "Setup
> requires _SETUP.DLL and _ISRES.DLL (located in _SETUP.LIB) in order to
> operate properly. Please ensure these files are located with SETUP.EXE."
>
> _SETUP.LIB is there, as is _SETUP.DLL. _ISRES.DLL is *not* there, but the
> error implies it is within _SETUP.LIB. Indeed, this very same download
> installs flawlessly under Win98SE.
>
> WINE is the CrossOver version, which has installed other InstallShield-based
> packages before.

I'm using Wine 20030408, under Mandrake 9.2, and (aside from permissions
strangeness) it works fine. Of course there is also the matter that
NP1.1 is well-behaved, and you _could_ also just zip up the existing
installation and move it across...

Now, lets see about a native Linux document converter...

-R

--
Rob Masters                                                     |PARC- Model /\
"I spy, with my little eye, something that's about to be-"      |Rocketry    ||