Re: [NTLK] Followup to Houston Chronicle Story

From: Len Cole (leonard.cole_at_verizon.net)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 08:49:40 PST

Considering that the Osborne I and the Compaq portable PC aren't (weren't) likely *home* computers or widely used as such, and the MITS Altair 8800 was a very early hobbyist computer (and CP/M to boot), I can hardly say that these three systems had "the biggest impact" on the way people use computers in their homes today.

I think the Osborne I could definitely have been left off the list other than for it being one of the first "luggable" computers. And I have to profess my ignorance about the Tandy Sensation. Huh? When did they slip that one past? But then again, Tandy never ranked high on my list of reputable computer manufacturers.

And I don't understand his ranking system, if there is one. The way I see it, the number one computer affecting the way people use their computers in the home was the IBM-PC -- people put them in their homes so they had a compatible computer to what was in their offices for doing work they wanted to (or were obligated to) take home.

(Of course, this doesn't mean I hold that whole computer architecture in any esteem!)

The Newton's influence on *home* computing remains to be seen. It's so far ahead of its time that its features aren't widely available anywhere else than in other PDAs. I don't know many people who have them! And the few who do have them, use them for business-related activites.

Personally, I'm still waiting for the time when I can communicate with my computer in a normal conversational manner rather than a rather stiff, formalized way of speaking. That's the big breakthrough and should have ramifications all throughout the computer industry.

ljc

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html