Re: [NTLK] AltRec and Corrector+ Question

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 02:21:08 PST

Aux environs du 24/12/03 à 2:01 -0800, sous le titre "[NTLK] AltRec
and Corrector+ Question", Eric Engle prit sa plus belle plume pour
écrire les mots suivants:
>Does AltRec (Paul Guyot) work only with the cursive recognizer? Only with the
>print recognizer? Both?

Well.

alt.rec.... brings three important features:
- enhancements of the printed recognizer by lengthening the
recognition loop with lookups in the dictionary
- enhancements of the recognition interface by letting you know when
a word is not in the dictionary and adding them directly from the
correction popup.
- (non recursive) macro substitions (aka expansions).

You also have little features like setting the maximum number of ink
words kept in memory (Options by SBM provides this), letting you have
the correction popup even when the keyboard is open (I think only
alt.rec.... provides this feature) and limited Japanese input support
with nJIM.

The third main feature is more or less redundant with Corrector+
although alt.rec.... and Corrector+ definitely don't have the same
interface for these and don't plug themselves at the same place in
the OS.

I think both packages can be used simultaneously, but I should admit
I didn't try.

I believe the first feature of alt.rec.... is what people prefers. At
least, it is what I focused on, this is why at some point alt.rec....
changed the recognition settings to printing when it was installed.

Finally, there is a bug, such that (I think) if you have learning
enabled and you use the cursive recognizer, alt.rec.... will cause a
hang up after the second or third word. This very old bug appears
randomly and I still have to fix it. I cannot always reproduce it
(I've just tried and failed).

The reason why alt.rec.... is considered working only with the
printing recognizer (which is Rosetta, btw), is this bug.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/