Re: [NTLK] portable computers [was: Followup to Houston Chronicle

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 05:37:13 PST

on 12/23/03 10:04 PM, Tony Kan at tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz wrote:

> I'm not demeaning the use of keyboards, it's that they're counter-intuitive
> to me. What I'd like to see is a twelve to fifteen inch diagonal tablet with
> Newton capabilities. *That* would be totally awesome to use.

First of all, sorry for the delay---holidays you know. :-)

Keyboards may be counter-intuitive, but they are still much faster than
handwriting. Even a "hunt and peck" typist can probably type faster than he
can handwrite legibly. The operative word being "legibly" of course. At my
best, I can write maybe 30 wpm, and on my Newton even faster (filling in all
the spaces, auto scroll in the notepad, etc) but at my slowest, I'm typing
45-50 wpm. However, with my Newton,I can stand on the street corner, or in
the shop, and write down some important bit of information, or check a phone
number, or even create a new address card, and fill it in--all without a
keyboard. Yet, when riding in the train, or sitting on the couch, a keyboard
becomes mighty handy. Unfortunately, my children discovered my keyboard...
:-( I currently have no idea where it is. I was thinking of offering it for
sale on the list, but I got a mutiny on my hands when my kids heard that!
So, I'm keeping the keyboard so they can lie on the couch or in bed and type
their stories and diary entries. :-) Each has their place. With the Newton,
you can have the best of both worlds. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland