Re: [NTLK] Why did Apple use a serial dongle?

From: Jonathan Ramos (imagraphicstudios_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 18:23:07 PST

Hi guys,

As others on this list have already pointed out, the interconnect port is a Newton only port that supports audio (in/out), video?, and serial connections. The first device made by Apple to utilize this port is the much maligned serial dongle to give our green buddy connection to a desktop
computer, the second is the print pack cable that had the serial dongle built in on one end and terminated into a parallel connector.

Otherwise, third party developers were suppose to make other devices that would communicate and interact with the Newton.
Imagine having a GPS reciever, a cellular modem, a TV/FM/AM tuner, a digital camera, or a video device attached to the Newt. Apple had a prototype dongle that gave dual serial connections and audio in/out.
You can see it here: http://www.normalkid.com/collector/inter.html

As I see it, the interconnect port was designed to be mutliple device input/output port the same way USB is used now.

Later,
Jonathan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html