Re: [NTLK] NPDS competitors are getting closer :)

From: Brian McMillan (brianmcmillan_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 18:13:13 PST

Both of these devices miss the unique value of NPDS. What makes NPDS
valuable is that with one click, you can make the most important
functions of your MP available over the web with little or no
configuration. Not an earth shaking capability, but good solid
functionality that is useful in a few situations. In one very portable
package you have a traditional web server, blog server, address book,
calendar, pager (w/ Macintalk!), and application development
environment, especially if you use NewtScape I've heard. Plus, it's a
good reason to have a "spare" Newton. Add VNC and you have full access
to the whole thing! All without any wires.

The other servers are more personal file servers. Now If we could sync
our newton info to Linux or over some other standard (SOAP, XML-RPC, or
some other mysterious service running on a weird port ;-) ).
Additionally, I would like to see some NPDS type functionality like
some of the really nice PHP calendar programs. I have to say that Sony
can pack a lot of functionality into a small box. <joke> Too bad they
could not fit in a PVCR </joke>.

~ Brian McMillan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html