Re: [NTLK] Lantern, Get_Card_Info.pkg & IBM Ethernet Credit CardII

From: David Holmes (dh_ntlk_at_delphys.net)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 08:19:39 PST

> Please remind me the problem here. This card, unlike your IBM card,
> doesn't have a CIS data parsing issue, right?

The card server cannot parse the IBM card.
The V1String2 (Product name) of the Linksys
card is 32 chars long (too long it seems and
causes an Install (pkg) error) but the card
server recognizes it.

> >In case 2) I get the same message I was getting before
> >so the length must be the problem:
>
> It is indeed. You can know about the length if you use a NewtonScript
> debugger to catch the exception sent by lantern.

Good point - I might try that. Right now I'm working
on the CIS parsing of the IBM card. I've adjusted
GetCardInfo to walk through part of the AttributeMemory
so I can understand the layout. A friend has also loaned
me a PCMCIA books so I can figure out various
bit-fields etc. I haven't yet been able to parse the
config or cftable_entry but I'm getting closer. So
far the numbers I got from the Hinds' tools don't seem
to work although I may just be missing something about
converting the IO space addresses into the correct
offsets in Newton memory... not sure. I thought that
the 0x20000 config base offset would be just added to
the socket-AttributeMemBaseAddr() but this just gets
me nulls.

> >Does the driver Init() need to be functional to get this far?
>
> Er. You mean the NE2K Lantern's driver?

Sorry - I was confused and should have said New().
I was trying to sort out if the compiler warning
about fTickTime's constructor was significant or
not. (It is generated by the ProtocolGen stage.)

> It would be interesting to see if it was called, but I think that
> when you got the first message it was that no matching driver was
> called.

Right - I wasn't sure if New had to run during the
registration or something. The warning about
fTickTime refered to NE2000Sample.impl.h; the driver's
New however, contains the new fTickTime call.
Perhaps all just an ignorable compiler warning...

> Does GetCardInfo return the full string?

Yes, GetCardInfo does return the full string
for either card so in the Linksys case it
sees the full 32 chars.

And congrats on the progress with your ATA pkg.
--david

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html