[NTLK] Newton Keyboard Hell?

From: eric engle (engleerica_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 09:16:50 PST

I have a newton keyboard.

For anyone considering getting one my advice is: Get
it. Then again I type 54+ WPM (top speed is 80
sustained over 50).

And I frankly hate handwriting: I'm left handed. At
least I don't get digital ink stains.

But: there is a problem.
My newton KB has the standard apple connector - I
believe a MINI DIN with exactly 8 pins.

My newton 2100 uses a PC connector cable on on end (I
guess its RS 232? 5 female pins up, 4 female down -
i.e. your standard pc connector).

I thought I could get a gender changer/adaptor. HA.
The local mac shop can't even order me something from
the catalog! Nor the local pc shop... Nor the local
turkish electronic shop...

In short my Keyboard works with my 120 and is useless
for my 21000

(Bangs head into keyboard repeatedly)

The keyboard itself is a little loud, but not as bad
as I was afraid it might be. I disassembled it to see
if it could be quieted. Not too feasible. But it is
quiet enough to be used in a library (especially a
french library - where everyone talks. One aspect of
france I disliked. German libraries are vastly
quieter).

My mac shop's advice was: DIY - solder your own
adaptor.

Arg.

I have an adaptor cable that converts the pc cable to
a mac male cable. So really I am trying to take two
male mac cables and connect them. I.e. a need a double
female mac 8 pin cable.

I think soldering it myself is dumb.

Is there such a thing as a mac 8 pin mini din with two
female ends? Or are the Goddesses of planet Lesvos
simply toying with me?

<whimper>Where might a find it</whimper>

I live in Germany if that helps.

thanks oh protean newtoneers!