Re: [NTLK] Toshiba PC Card with ATA Support

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 14:02:36 PST

À (At) 16:49 -0500 6/2/03, Peter Cameron écrivait (wrote) :
> MP3s aren't something I use my Newton for. And Paul's driver is a great
>idea, I was merely questioning the 5GB. As I understand it the card would
>have to be partitioned and the Newton's limit is 64MB per partition.

I think several users have tried partitions larger than 64 MB.
For the moment, ATA Support only lets you create up to 4 partitions.
The system actually doesn't let me have more than 4 stores mounted
per card unless I cook an even dirtier hack.

> Each of those partitions will require heap for the Newton to know it's
>there. Each (unfrozen) package on each partition will eat some more heap. I
>have about 3.5MB internally and 5.2MB on a 32MB card in my 2100. This leaves
>about 300K of heap for programs to play in. Much less than this and heap
>intensive operations (such as internet programs) will begin to slow down.

Indeed.

However MP3s don't take any heap. So do some packages. Books take
little heap as well.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/