Re: [NTLK] AC adapters for automobiles

From: Nancy Haitz (nhaitz_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Feb 08 2003 - 20:18:16 PST

>> Nancy wrote:
>>
>> I use an auto adapter with my laptop. It has the usual cigarette
>> lighter plug on one end, and on the other end is a box with a standard
>> (USA standard) AC outlet.
>
> John wrote:
>
> Just be careful about buying one of these. Some of the cheaper ones
> don't provide a true AC sine-wave output. They might not be a good
> thing for your Newton adapter (or Newt). It might be a better idea to
> try to find a regulated DC to DC adapter in the correct voltage and
> current rating.

John,

According to the electrical engineer/motor designer I live with,
finding a true sine-wave DC to AC adapter would be rare and expensive.
And, unnecessary if used with a laptop or Newton correctly.

The laptop or Newton is drawing its power from its own internal
(rechargeable) battery. So the device is getting clean power from its
own battery.

The battery charger is plugged into the AC outlet on the converter box.
The fuse prevents power spikes. The car's battery, which powers the
cigarette lighter when the engine is not running, prevents a power
outage.

Just one person's opinion...

Nancy

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html