Re: [NTLK] pbG4 + wavelan --> newton wavelan =no go

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 08:08:52 PST

on 09/02/03 10:21, Philip Lord at nama_chari_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> It's been a while since I've posted. But I check the
> listing every day. It's goot to be back.
>
> I Have a problem that has me stumped.
>
> My powerbook G4 internal airport signal isn't stong
> enough to get a good signal to my base station which
> is in another room so I have been using a wavelan card
> in the PC card slot, which is much more powerful.
> The problem is that I can't connect to the newton
> (which also has it's own wavelan card) using this
> configuration. If however I turn off the wavelan card
> and use the internal airport on the G4, everything
> works fine. As far as I can tell the settings are
> identical for both setups, internal airport and
> wavelan.
>
> Also, when I try to connect using 'dock' with both the
> newton and g4 using the wavelan cards I get alot of
> flashin from the cards LED's on both machines but no
> connection. It's as of they are trying hard, but just
> can't get it right.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts?

What kind of "wavelan" card? Does it support AppleTalk? That's the protocol
used between the Dock and NCU.

However, you should troubleshoot methodically. First, you should try
bringing your G4 closer to the AirPort Base Station and see if it works. If
it doesn't, then your network is probably not at cause, your setup is. If it
works, then you can try the wavelan card. Try to isolate unknown variables
early on so you can have a more educated guess as to what is not working...

-Laurent.

buzzword-compliant: [also `buzzword-enabled'] Used (disparagingly) of
products that seem to have been specified to incorporate all of this month's
trendy technologies. Key buzzwords that often show up in buzzword-compliant
specifications as of 2001 include `XML', `Java', `peer-to-peer',
`distributed', and `open'.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html