Re: [NTLK] Differences in read/write speeds for Flash cards?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 10:15:04 PST

Additionally, there is a noticable difference in speed
between a powered linear card and a non-powered linear
card. My 2 and 4MB Newton branded powered linear cards
are far faster than my Pretec non-powered 4mb cards.
This is noticable when saving large files or playing
back MP3s from a card.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net> wrote:
> À (At) 10:45 -0500 6/2/03, Stocker, Michael écrivait
> (wrote) :
> >Are there any noticeable read/write performance
> differences between =
> >linear Flash and ATA Flash cards?
>
> Both storage systems behave very differently (ATA
> Support includes a
> complete object database engine because I couldn't
> use the one in the
> system for ATA cards). But some tests were made. The
> base for these
> tests is Nick's TestIt.
>
> The result is that ATA cards are up to as fast as
> average linear
> cards. But there are many slow ATA cards out there
> (like my 32 MB
> SmartMedia).
>
> We usually refer to Carsten Lemmen's speed tests
> (http://www.mac3.de/sig/newton/memory_cards.html).
> However, some
> people noticed that linear cards can be *very* slow
> in some
> circumstances.>

=====
May every SPAM you receive magically come true.
 -Spencer F. Katt; eWeek magazine