Re: [NTLK] Connect to newt

From: [ + | - ] (polarity_at_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 07:47:47 PST

> Ethernet. Get a Newt-compatible ethernet card on eBay.

Newbie alert!! (sorry).

I joined this list to try and work out how to connect my G4 Pbook and my
Newton 2100. I've read the archives and have lurked here for almost a week,
but nothing seems to work. Sorry to anyone sick of this connection problem
(there seemed to be one or two).

I have tried my Farallon Ethernet card - but the Newton says it's
unsupported or something. I used to have ethernet PC card drivers on the
Newton (I think) - but removed them some time ago since I had no use for the
ethernet card in the Newton (at the time I had a 2nd generation G3 Pbook
with serial input/output for NCU). So I can't seem to use the ethernet
option as I can't get the drivers on the Newton first (egg -> chicken ->
egg).

I also bought a Keyspan USB -> twin serial adapter off eBay to try this
set-up. I've tried everything - OS X, Classic, reboot in OS 9.2 (the latter
didn't seem to like the Keyspan software and will now only start up with
extensions off or with just base 9.2 extensions). Still doesn't work.

Basically in every option the Newton doesn't seem to find the Mac when NCU
or NewtSync or that other OS X program (sorry forgotten the name) is waiting
for a connection having recognised the Keyspan dongle.

I saw one guy's posy last week giving a URL where he discusses how to
connect the two, and it looked quite good when I scanned it at work, but
when I got home, and everytime since I've tried it, the web server times out
on connection.

If anyone can help (maybe off list if it's going to annoy people) I would be
very grateful.

I LOVE MY NEWTON!!!!! (A proud daily user since 1993).

:o)

Thanks,

Andy

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html