Re: [NTLK] Local Talk?!?

From: Marty (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 16:56:38 PST

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 05:44 PM, Victor Rehorst wrote:

> Quoting James Elliott <james.elliott_at_newted.org>:
>
>> Go out to the box on the side of your house where the phone line
>> comes in and twist the yellow and the black wires together. Those
> <snip,snip>
> At least in Canada, the "box on the side of your house where the phone
> line
> comes in" is the service demarcation line - everything below the box
> to your
> central office is the phone company's, and everything from the box and
> inside
> your house is *yours*. If you mess things up in there in might mean a
> call
> to Ma Bell and a big service bill...

Actually some of the boxes do have customer access hatch, but you
couldn't twist any wires together there...

Usually I play with the wire inside the house at the first/main
junction. basically you are unhooking the two wires that provide power
for the light on the "princess" model bell phone. Most modern
residential single line systems use only two wires (tip and ring). by
unhooking the two wires from the phone lines (if necessary) you get the
wire pair for use as localtalk. This can allow for a clean plug in
setup using the Farallon phonenet or other localtalk transformers that
are compatible.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html