Re: [NTLK] Thank you for all the repies!

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 13:12:32 PST

on 2/12/03 3:55 PM, Peter Cameron at pdwc_at_sympatico.ca wrote:

> Farallon Ethermac and Ethermac/Etherwave (this one also works in
> Newtons) cards work very well in PowerBooks. The Etherlink III is *supposed*
> to work with a hacked version of the Farallon driver. I haven't tested this
> myself since I was lucky enough to find a Farallon. The 3com
> XJAEM336/XJEM336 combo card is supposed to work in PowerBooks as well, but
> so far I haven't been able to perform the correct voodoo. I've managed to
> get the modem working but I must not have the chicken-entrail-swinging
> routine down right for the ethernet portion.

Well, I hacked a driver for the Etherlink III, as well as tried an
already-hacked driver--same thing. Under OS 9.2.2, I got a bomb on restart,
and on the next restart, a flashing question mark--the system was corrupted.
:-( I gave up after the third try.

Another problem I haven't mentioned is that I'm trying to get these things
locally. Macs in Poland are somewhere about the percentage of 0%. Finding
any cards of the vintage of this Book is also about impossible. My wife
should be getting herself a nice, "new" Pismo when my parents come at the
end of March, but I hate to force her to suffer through dialup for the next
six weeks while the kids and I enjoy full-time access. :-) Thanks for the
help, however. I now have some more options to look for.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland