Re: [NTLK] a provocation...

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 22:33:01 PST

on 2/13/03 6:43 PM, Joel M. Sciamma at joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk wrote:

> His argument for having electronic devices that are very tightly focused
> only works if you are not travelling - how many devices would you like to
> carry with you? A general purpose hand-held is the only realistic option and
> the Palm stood between the two ends of the argument.

Hm. I've been thinking about this, and here's why. I use a Newton, but also
have a Nokia 6210, with solid address book features for a cell phone, as
well as a laptop. I have been considering trying to either integrate these
into one solution or something to reduce what I carry. However, just this
week, I found myself driving down the road, and seeing something I
absolutely needed to remember. I thought first of my Newton, but the idea of
pulling over to the side of the road in the middle of the city was a joke,
as was trying to write on my Newton while driving. Suddenly, I remembered
the calendar feature in my phone, with its day notes. I pulled out the
phone, and created a note with the info I needed while driving, and hardly
taking my mind off my driving. It was single-handed writing is what it was.
I found it to be quite convenient, albeit slow, but because of my need to
concentrate on traffic, this really wasn't an issue. As I thought over this,
I realized that just a little while earlier, I had really needed the
capabilities of my Newton to quickly take rather complicated information
that I could not have done on the phone, both because of its size but also
because of the speed. Maybe a Palm would have worked, but I still would have
had two devices. In any case, as I thought over it, I thought about how that
I also need my Pismo for its strengths. I will be keeping all three, I
believe, for quite a while. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland