Re: [NTLK] Finding the mac address for an ethernet card on the Newton?

From: Harlan Feinstein (harlan_at_feinsteins.net)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 08:42:38 PST

  Robert> Very odd indeed, I always thought that the MAC address was a
  Robert> hardware thing, which seemed to be confirmed by the fact that
  Robert> it's often on a sticker on the outside. Seems I was wrong ;-)

No, you were right. I think Nancy's mistaken. The MAC address is burned into the hardware of the network card. There are few exceptions. It may have assigned a new IP address, if the network was configured with DHCP in a typical configuration, but the MAC address should be unchanged.

--Harlan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html