Re: [NTLK] Zaurus - FrankenNewt?

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 14:56:37 PST

> From: "Tobias Strohe" <tstrohe_at_jgjohnson.com>
> Subject: [NTLK] Zaurus - FrankenNewt?
> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:55:45 -0700
>
> Dear List,
>
> everybody keeps talking about Palm, Clie, Psion etc.... What about the
> Zaurus (Sharp) running Unix (?). Is there potential to port Rosetta
> (Inkwell) to that and would that make it a similar marvel as the Newton? Are
> there legal and technical remedies to prevent somebody from trying, or are
> there other downsides to the Zaurus that I didn't see in my quick scan of
> Sharp's website?

there has been some discussion here off&on over the past few years about
porting Newton stuff to Unix/Linux, e.g., Gnuton project. in addition to
the technical barriers (Apple never released complete documentation/source),
there are legal issues (Apple was never really interested in licensing any
Newton stuff).

Zaurus battery life isn't that great; on the plus side, there is a growing
collection of apps (e.g., http://killefiz.de/zaurus/) and standard
development languages/tools.

--
Steve