Re: [NTLK] Shamefully OT - pda form factors & a new idea

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 20:45:58 PST

Sounds like what I already have.
My Jeep has a Windows CE device in the dash with a
goose neck mounted IRDA keyboard. (when it's not
there, it's being upgraded by my friend. The CE has a
full size PC Card slot and a compact PC card slot. The
Compact slot has a 512mb card and the full size has an
802.11b card. A coder friend of mine wrote some code
that automatically tracks my music use in my car. When
I pull into my driveway, my Jeep logs into my wireless
network, the CE downloads the list of songs I heard
since my last trip to my server along with any
information (likes/dislikes) that I may have tapped on
the screen at the time. Then it will send fresh music
back to the CE in my Jeep based on the genre of the
music I listened too and what I told my CE what I
liked. It will cycle the music randomly with a minimum
number of plays that I set up in advanced. This,
coupled with the over 10,000 MP3s I have keeps me in
fresh music for months! And if I want to listen to a
song again, Microsoft's voice recognition software
allows me to verbally replay, keep, skip or stop
playing just by talking.
There's still bugs, but my friend won't let me share
this yet (he says that there's a commercial value
here...) My hope is that thousands of cars traveling
the Beltway every day can become a mobile Napster!
Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Andrew Shooner <shooner.3_at_osu.edu> wrote:
<snip>
> to your Mac, use the obligatory sleek Apple software
> to plan a trip, or
> whatever, ( even set up the music you want where on
> the trip) and then
> insert it into an dash-mounted dock in your car.
> Using natural apple
> creativity, they could design the unit to have on
> on-board display
> (touchpad of course) That could fold out for use
> while it is connected
> to the car. At that point, once it is connected to
> your car, it would
> also connect to your sound system, and pretty much
> act as an on-board
> computer. Once at your exciting location, the base
> unit (what you
> remove from the car) can be carried along,
> continuing it's gps/mp3/
> data functions. It would be what you would plan a
> trip on. Using
> Sherlock, you could have a trip planned, booked,
> totally thought out,
> and it would come with you throughout the
> experience. If a car company
> is looking for something to win over the
> fence-sitters, it would work
> for me. Of course you could easily retrofit any car
> to use it, the car
> dock would fit into, and replace the function of, a
> car stereo.
>
> So whaddya think?
>
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
"A spirit of national masochism prevails, encouraged by the impudent core of effete snobs who characterize themselves as intellectuals"
 - Spiro Agnew, 1970