Re: [NTLK] Bluetooth on Newt

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 10:51:35 PST

On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 07:35 , Sonya Hipper wrote:

> I realize this is a resurrection of an old topic, but with the recent
> (to me) revelation that someone was working on a free ObEx stack for
> IrDA/IrCOMM, I was just wondering how much effort it would be to add
> bluetooth functionality to that stack.

I'm doing the IrCOMM stuff for the Newton... Bluetooth doesn't seem to
be impossible, it's just totally unrelated to IrDA on the lower protocol
layers.

To make it work with the Newton, you'd need a Bluetooth PCMCIA card (5
Volt) that uses the Bluetooth HCI (Host Controller Interface). HCI is a
way to talk to the card via a serial link. The other alternative is a
serial Bluetooth adapter. PCMCIA cards and serial adapters would be able
to use the same Bluetooth stack.

If anybody could try to see what happens when inserting a Bluetooth
PCMCIA card (has to be 5 Volt, not 3.3), we would know more... if it
shows up as a Communications Card, then it supports HCI and maybe
porting one of the open source Bluetooth stacks would work.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html