Re: [NTLK] serial ports (eg #3) questions

From: Daniel Padilla (dproldan_at_telefonica.net)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 15:05:31 PST

>So, how easy/hard is it to make use of these
>other serial ports/channels in practice? If I
>have an LTC1323 or whatever xcvr how do I
>get access via the software side? For example,
>I'd like to be able to use Hammer on one port
>and download a pkg on another so I can see what
>is going on with the pkg install for example.

    With the actual software tools, we can use five serial ports, external
serial (0), infrared(1), internal modem(3) and two PC Card slots. Using one
or other is just a matter of changing a four character string, either by
patching the package or hex editing it in a desktop.
    The hardware isn't too complicated, there are serial port PC cards in
the market, and channel number 3 only needs a serial driver chip to work
with standard applications.

>Also, what is involved with making these
>serial port speed pkgs? (eg the 57600 Serial)
>And are there any faster ones? If not why -
>I thought that the hardware was capable of
>higher rates.?.

    There's a function to register a desktop connection transport.
RegDesktopConnTransport. :-)
    The newton can even use external clocks for the serial port speeds. It
just a matter of making the interface for it. But maybe the usual desktop
programs can't handle the higher speeds.

Daniel

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html