Re: [NTLK] Installing Packages from OS X

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 23:43:51 PST

On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 10:34 PM, Newtvana wrote:

> On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 03:23 PM, Michael Sciascia wrote:
>> I get an error about Apple Talk, even if I can correctly connect to
>> another Mac and the internet via airport.....
>
> One of the tricks here is to understand that OS X and Classic have
> COMPLETELY SEPARATE APPLETALK PREFERENCES. Because of this, you have to
> use the AppleTalk Control Panel in Classic to set Classic's AppleTalk
> options. You might also need to enable AppleTalk in the Chooser.

If you open the Appletalk control panel while in Classic you will get a
message that "The application AppleTalk is not supported by Classic"

Classic does NOT have a separate AppleTalk configuration
Whatever you have in X you have in Classic
If you enable AppleTalk in OS X Network Preferences it will be on in
Classic
If you disable them in OS X they will disable in Classic

IF you reboot into OS 9 on this machine then you can configure OS 9's
AppleTalk while running OS 9

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html