Re: [NTLK] Fried Newton on eBay for $250

From: John Goggan (jgoggan_at_dcg.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 19:43:32 PST

John M Powell wrote:

> It's a rather often used practice, where the auction poster has
> people he knows bid on the item to drive the price up. I forget
> the terminology. eBay supposedly will deal with people that do
> that, but experience shows they are slow to move if at all in
> dealing with that.

Yes, but that only works up to a certain point. I find it hard to believe
that he was trying to run a $40 item up to $250 and actually found someone to
bid against him. Unless he was controlling BOTH accounts for some weird
reason...

Oh, and it is called "shill bidding." And, yes, EBay does sometimes detect it
and suspend for it. They basically do some IP checking and do an automated
look for buyer/seller matches... But, it is fairly rare to catch one.

 - John...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html