Re: [NTLK] dillo web browser

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 10:57:59 PST

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 00:11, Newtvana wrote:
> On Monday, February 24, 2003, at 02:33 PM, Karel Jansens wrote:
> > On Monday 24 February 2003 22:32, Jeff Andrusin wrote:
> >> http://dillo.auriga.wearlab.de/Compatibility.html
> >
> > If it could be recompiled for NewtonOS, it would make a very nice
> > lightweight browser indeed (but: no Java, Javascript, frames and only
> > rudimentary tables).
>
> Hmmm, that 'feature list' seems to match the current browsers on the
> Newton to a 't'.
>
> I'd love a *small* faster browser for the Newton that would work on my
> MP2k and support HTTP 1.1...

Dillo is blindingly fast. The only thing faster that I have seen is the
text-based browser lynx.

And I agree that presently Dillo lacks features (although it does 'do' HTTP
1.1), but you must not forget that

a) Dillo is very young and still a work in progress and

b) Dillo is Open Source, meaning that it is more than likely that those
features will be added (still, how one is supposed to get Java
compatibility for a platform that doesn't have a full-fledged JRE is
beyond me).

--
Jazz.
NEW SIG-LINE EXPECTED REAL SOON!!!!!!