Re: [NTLK] About Nitro and NewTen

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 08:13:18 PST

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 12:39 , Damien Batstone wrote:

> I think you would need to patch the dock package to use the IrDA port
> through serial, and then use a virtual IRCOMM port on the PC/Mac.

Yes, that might work indeed. But two things make this difficult:
patching the Dock application is not that easy (it's in ROM), and I'm
not sure how the MNP compression play with all this. As far as I see,
the default serial Dock connection is using MNP compression, and the MNP
compression is implemented on top of the regular serial connection. So
if you would simply replace this with the IrCOMM layer, the deskop side
would get confused because the data is not MNP compressed anymore. But
if you'd then disable MNP in NewTen/UnixNPI, it might work.

Patching can probably be avoided by modifying the Serial57600.pkg which
is part of UnixNPI to use not the mnps service, but the ircm service.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html