Re: [NTLK] Good modems

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 08:39:06 PST

on 2/26/03 10:41 AM, David Deranian at deranian_at_mac.com wrote:
> I have the same modem and it's been "old faithful" for several years
> for both cell and landline like you said. My question is; do you know
> if there's a custom cable available that would allow you to connect
> that specific modem with a Motorola Startec cell phone?
    AFAIK there were only two cell cables made for this modem _ to connect
to the MicroTAC and Elite phones. I've only used it with the MicroTAC since
it gives a good solid connection just about anywhere. People I know who've
been using modems with StarTACs always appeared to have problems getting a
solid connections (but then I haven't had much luck with 3Com modems and
cell phones either). Resetting the station class mark of the MicroTAC phone
to 10 from the default 14 made it even more stable. I use the same
modem/cell combination with my PowerBook. I like the Power/MicroTAC
combination since they were made to go together.
    Some of the later Motorola Cellect series modems might have StarTAC
cables, but I haven't seen any of the Cellect modems around for years.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html