Re: [NTLK] DaVinci keyboard hardware hack?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 21:20:10 EST

eric engle wrote:
> I have a DaVinci PDA with a _very nice keyboard.
>
> I would like to hack the keyboard to work with a
> newton.
>
> Only problem is my knowledge of electronics is like
> high school level.
>
> Here are the pinouts:
> http://www.ele.uva.es/~jesus/davinci/
>
> I presume this is not possible because the newton runs
> under 5v and the davinci under 3.3v. I also presume it
> is not possible because the pinouts are just too
> different.

Actually, it's more not possible because the daVinci's keyboard does not
implement the Newton protocol. The Newton keyboard uses a full serial
connection and a documented (well, reverse-engineered) protocol, while it
looks like the daVinci keyboard requires an external clock to drive it.
Interfacing such a keyboard would require some custom hardware, and also
knowledge of what clock signal the daVinci provides over that pin.